Saturday, May 16, 2009

DELAYED



I apologize. I've turned into one of those people who has a blog but doesn't blog....nice. I've had so much happen the last two weeks and havent written about any of it. Let me sum up:


12hr race-As mentioned in previous post i was in a 12 hr race in GA, and was attempting it SS. Race went really well, except for the rain, and the fact that i had to change gears. Registerd in the Clydesdale class with expectations of a pretty easy win. I won. Also would have placed 3rd in the SS category which was the exciting part, kinda wish i had just raced it instead, oh well, the 26in tires i won will come in handy on my 29in wheel!! Gearing was good for the first lap when the course was hard packed and dry, but i knew that with a little knee pain sneaking in early that i needed a change. Swapped up to the 20 after the first lap and it was money after that. Good thing too cause it POURED for lap three and left the course a virtual river for an hour or so, which then turned to absolute mud slowing the lap times down considerably. I was shooting for 9 laps and quickly realized with some aerobic math while in the saddle that 8 was going to be more attainable with the rain, then it fell to 7 once the trail turned to straight mud. All in all i was happy with the outcome, 7 laps/88miles and a first place. I was really wanting to post some pics, but just haven't had time to steal them off the photographers page yet. They will come shortly once this whirlwind of madness slows down. Nutrition was dialed which makes me feel good about Leadville. Next test is July 11th at the next 12 hour.


House Hunting: The morning after the 12hour Dr. J and I headed to Gville to do a little house hunting. I'll keep this brief cause it could get boring real quick. Bottom line is we got a house after many emotional ups and downs. One cool thing is that we looked and thought we got a house owned by Craig Lewis who happens to ride on Team Columbia with George Hincapie. Was the perfect house, nice big basement for my shop, a garage for my other shop and plenty of room for Dr. J to do her thing. We ended the search after being told by the management company(Craig is in Spain training for the tour) that there would be no problem only to wake the next morning and find out on our way out of town that good ole' Craig doesn't allow dogs. Awesome. Jerk. I hope you wreck out of the Tour Craig. This is where the emotional roller coaster hit it's low. So we started over and miraculously found a house a few hours later that was just as nice. Only a mile to the hospital and a mile to down town as well as the exact size we needed. Done, we'll take it. Plenty of room for visitors, hope to see some of you all there. Also got a job at a super cool shop, Carolina Triathlon. Looking forward to meeting some new folks and getting on the local trails.



Last two weeks: As soon as we got home we hit the ground running with going away parties(thanks Suggs family), graduation(congratulations dr. babe, i'm so proud of you. you've earned it. I love you.), a trip to the beach and oh ya, packing all our crap up. It didn't take long to realize that no way all of our stuff was gonna fit in the POD, but after renting a UHAUL trailer and loading my Element down to the point where the wheels almost pop off, we got it all. I'm writing this with only 1:53 minutes left in Mob town then it's off to Bham-Dallas-Albuquerque-Grand Canyon-Durango-Silverton-Crested Butte-Leadville-Denver-Oklahoma City-Little Rock-Bham-then finally home in Greenville. Looking forward to laying on my couch in my new pad with nothing to do....that's a least a month away.

1 comment:

Andrew and Sarah said...

First of all, congrats on the race. I don't know a thing about mountain biking, so I'm not gonna try to do that thing where I say, "Yeah, I've got this other friend that mtn. bikes", and then enter some really vague statements like, "having to change gears in the middle of a race sucks" or "just keep pushing"...stuff like that.

Secondly, have a blast on the trip. You two will have a much-deserved great time.

Thirdly, I hope Dr. J (as you call her...which is hilarious)showed you the "inspirational" picture text I sent you via her phone.

I started running with a running group this week. I showed up my first day, and this ironman beast starts out of the gate laying down 6:10-6:15 pace for a seven miler...needless to say, I was caught off guard and out of breath-pretty sure I blacked out there for a minute or two. He, on the other hand, was a machine with a huge gas tank. You triathletes are a funny gaggle of people that don't know your own strength...ya beasts.

Have fun...say hey to Georgie boy for me when he gets back from the tour.