Sunday, May 31, 2009

I haven't had the desire/time/whatever to sit down and right a huge post about the past 2 weeks, so I'll just give little blurbs with a few pics that will hopefully tell the whole story. After leaving the grand canyon we headed over to K-Colorado in Durango to visit friends during alumni weekend. We had a blast. There were about 15 alum from the first three years that we were there including 3 of my really good buddies. Good times were definitely had.
During our Durango stay we took part in the annual Ironhorse Classic, a 50 mile ride/race from Durango to Silverton with the goal being to beat the tourist train. I didn't beat the train this year. I was really hoping to have a good ride but being only 2 days removed from the Grand Canyon epic hike my legs were TOAST. Somehow though, Jill, felt fantastic. She dropped me on the first climb and I didn't see her again until the end. Very proud of her, this was an "A" race for her and she killed it. I ended up limping in with my boy Jack Fisher(old alum) who was having some serious cramp issues. I will place a little blame on the fact that we weren't going to do the race do to a forecast of 23degrees, feels' like 13 in Silverton with 60% chance of snow....and that didn't take into account the temp at the tops of the 3 passes we had to go over. All that to say it was looking doubtful that we would actually do the ride the night before, therefore i took part in some heavy/dark libations with my boys. The cycling gods were messing with me cause at 6:45 am we rallied and made the call to give it a shot. Lucky thing is it turned out to be a nice day, cold, moist but nice.

The biggest downer of the trip thus far was the weather. Of the 4 days we were in Durango it rained 3, leaving only the last day on our way out of town to hit up the sick Telegraph trails. My legs didn't argue, they were still tired and amazingly extremely sore. These are some of the best trails in the WORLD, good enough they've actually hosted the World Cup there twice in the past 12 years. If you are even a small fan of mtn biking and you ever get the chance you have to hit up these gems. Due to all the snow fall this year we headed to the Grand Junction/Fruita area instead of over to Crested Butte. Either one of these two places are absolutely fantastic and definitely have "destination" trails but the desert was the only dry place around. So....Grand Junction it is. I'll throw up a few pics then get back later to give you all the details of the ride. I look forward to hitting these up again in August with all my boys after Leadville.

1 comment:

Andrew and Sarah said...

nice pics...glad you two had a blast